Steak and Shake Disgrace

Posted by Connie on Saturday, January 26th, 2008 at 1:47 am and is filed under Advocacy, Healthy or Not, News.

I wonder how in this day and age people with disABILITIES still have to fight for the normal service that people without health concerns or physical conditions don’t. I was shocked and saddened to read about a woman who is deaf was denied service from the drive through at her local Steak and Shake. I read about this story from Lori and am still incensed today.

Karen who blogs about her life as a deaf wife and mother to three deaf and hard of hearing children posted about her experience at Steak and Shake when she tried to order two milkshakes at an empty drive through. What she encountered is unbelievable but true.

She bypassed the speakers as she normally does, went to the window and honked her horn. When an employee came to the window Karen explained that she can’t hear and can’t use the speaker. She then went ahead and ordered her two shakes. The employee told her to drive around and use the speaker. Again she explained about being not being able to hear to use the speaker. She even mentioned the Americans With Disabilities Act.

But that employee wouldn’t budge. Rules are rules and she had to order from the speaker. It didn’t matter that she told him about her problems with hearing, that she was right there to place her order, and that she even has a law to back her up. That employee became angry and rude. Even after telling him she is deaf and showing him her hearing aids (which she did not have to do, he closed the drive through window on her. Not only that he threated to call the police on her because another car had pulled up behind hers while she was attempting to get service that she is entitled to.

The ADA isn’t a law that provides people with disabilities “extras” as some people believe. It is a law that attempts to even the playing field. I am disABLED and don’t want pity or something for nothing. But I do expect to be able to use a restroom when I’m using my scooter. I expect to be able to get into the courthouse, my daughter’s school, my church, a chain restaurant, etc.

You see people with disABILITIES just want to live their lives. We have enough problems with our health, with taking care of ourselves, with taking care of our children. We have enough obstacles. Don’t put any more in front of us.

1. AMEN. And thank you for writing this!!

P.S. Saw you on the Blog 365 mega feed!

http://www.krississippi.com and http://www.mykidney.com

Krissi’s last blog post..Help Wanted – Am I’m Paying

comment by Krissi — January 26, 2008 @ 2:33 am
  2. I can’t believe they did that. Has she gone there before if so it had to have been someone new. I have found that most people don’t know about these laws and think that they don’t have to follow them.

There was still no reason that she could not be served. It probably would have taken less time then arguing about the speaker.

comment by Holly — January 26, 2008 @ 9:21 am
  3. You explained this beautifully– thanks for the support!

I always explain that the ADA levels the playing field, it’s not a law that provides extra “benefits,” but simple access.

comment by Deaf Mom — January 26, 2008 @ 11:26 pm
  4. Holly, yes, I have gone to that Steak ‘n Shake and always have used the drive thru there with no problems. Once I explain, the employee simply fills the order and gives me my shake and I’m on my merry way.

comment by Deaf Mom — January 26, 2008 @ 11:29 pm
  5. She simply could of said I am deaf but all I want is whatever kind of shake(s) it is that she wanted and pulled up. simple

comment by bd — May 5, 2008 @ 10:24 am
  6. @bd I think you need to read the post a bit more carefully. She did try to do just that, but the employee did not allow her to pull up and say what kind of shake she wanted. It wasn’t “simple” like it should have been and like you expect it to be.

comment by Connie — May 5, 2008 @ 12:18 pm
  7. [...] My Chronic Life: Steak ‘n Shake Disgrace [...]

8. Your blog is interesting! Keep up the good work!

comment by Maria — February 6, 2009 @ 1:09 pm
  9. You need to clarify that mail is not the Post Office address but the e-mail address. I put in my p.o. address and wrote a lengthy rant against Steak and Shake based on my unhappy experiences with them. When I tried to post my writings, your blog told me I needed a proper e-mail address and wiped out my posting. I no longer feel like reposting it.

comment by Walter Swanson — March 28, 2010 @ 5:16 pm