Memory Loss Vs. Brain Fog

Posted by Connie on Saturday, March 15th, 2008 at 9:39 pm and is filed under Autoimmune Disease, Cancer, Chronic Illness, Health Information.

There is a difference between brain fog and memory loss. Brain Fog is related to chronic illnesses such as Fibromyalgia, Sjogren’s Syndrome, ME/CFS, etc. It’s also related to lack of minerals or vitamins, some prescription medications and some forms of chemotherapy.

Brain Fog feels like you are confused and forgetful. You may not be able to do remember words easily. You may feel “spaced out” or that you’re in the clouds. You have difficulty keeping on task. Simple tasks that you were able to do easily such as add numbers become difficult. With Brain Fog or because of it you may feel sad or depressed.

Memory Loss is permanent and progressively gets worse. One day you can’t remember where your keys are or what a KVM is. As your memory loss gets worse you can’t remember your own family member’s names or the directions to your home. You begin to lose cognitive functioning of all kinds. Memory Loss is often related to Alzheimer’s Disease, Alcoholism, Dementia, Stroke, HIV, Brain Tumors, etc. This is a much more serious problem.

If you have any type of problems with your memory please see a physician.

1. Fish oil as a supplement is great for the brain.

Haney’s last blog post..Entrecard’s Top Dropper Should Be Rewarded?

comment by Haney — March 16, 2008 @ 3:36 am
  2. Wow, thanks for this info. I often worry about memory loss (I’m too young!) but it now sounds more to me like I’m just foggy…

Which vitamins/minerals are most likely to help with that? I try to be good with multivitamins and healthy eating, but I also try to not overdo it, since it is easy to go past the UTL (upper tolerable limit) with some vitamins and minerals.

Tee’s last blog post..I Want You!

comment by Tee — March 16, 2008 @ 12:02 pm
  3. I am queen of the brain fog moments. But lately my hubby and kids will swear they told me something, some story, and i have NO recollection..I always thought that was the fog rollin in too

comment by Michelle — March 17, 2008 @ 3:02 am
  4. Connie – I just got your email and thought I should come by and say THANK YOU!! I also thought your other readers may need the info that I requested above, so here it is:

Here’s some info for you, but of course check with your doctor first:
    calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, L-glutamine, L-taurine, choline, thiamine, B6, B12 and other B vitamins all help with lessening the effects of brain fog. You must be careful as with any vitamin or mineral not to take too much.

Tee’s last blog post..Parents: Pack a Meal That Won?t Upset Junior?s Tummy!

comment by Tee — March 17, 2008 @ 12:08 pm
  5. My goodness… I hope someone shoots me dead before I start suffering any of those! How sad!

comment by Mewie — March 17, 2008 @ 8:19 pm
  6. I am a writer and brain fog is so bad sometimes it is scary. I find that communicating through writing makes me better understood. When I can’t find the words I need there is no one waiting while I go fishing through my misty mind or pull out the thesaurus.

Great blog!

Darlene’s last blog post..Grocery Label Ingredients and What They Mean

comment by Darlene — March 17, 2008 @ 10:43 pm
  7. Oh my goodness… I’m an insensitive idiot. I’m sorry, I had no idea that you had this… and when I think back on what I said, it was rude, careless and just stupid.

I’m encouraged to hear how you live it up, despite your condition. Again, I’m really sorry.

Mewie’s last blog post..Branding for Life

comment by Mewie — March 19, 2008 @ 11:12 am
  8. Mewie, please don’t worry about it. I didn’t mention in my post that I have Brain Fog. There was no way for you to know. No need to apologize, ok? I know how caring you are!

comment by Connie — March 27, 2008 @ 8:38 am