I was pleased to learn about a college scholarship for people who use a wheelchair. This scholarship is for $500 and is expected to be used for books or other extra needed items for full time students. This is provided two times a year, fall and spring and has other requirements besides the use of a wheelchair and those are that the student must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited two or four year college
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Complete a 500 word essay by the deadline specified
- Be a legal resident of the USA
- Complete an application by the deadline
- Submit two character references (more information about this will be provided after the application is received)
The deadline for the upcoming fall scholarship is July 31, 2009 and can be completed online or via the mail. If done by the mail, the postmark must be July 31, 2009. There are two questions for this essay. Only one needs to be completed:
- What area of your school do you think would benefit from improved accessibility and how would you improve it?
- What area of your school do you feel has excellent accessibility and why?
The AmeriGlide Achiever Scholarship enables someone who faces challenges every day to not only earn money but to promote what is needed to make colleges more accessible for people with disabilities.