CraftyGAgal Succeeds Through Pain

Posted by Connie on Sunday, June 28th, 2009 at 10:59 pm and is filed under Chronic Illness, Shopping, Spotlight.

I met craftyGAgal on Twitter and learned about how she succeeds in business through chronic pain. We connected on Facebook too. The more I’ve learned about her and her drive to make and sell crafts and to blog, the more I wanted to share her positive attitude and her beautiful work with my readers.

craftyGAgal’s real name is Meredith Crosby. She is 31 years old, married and has twin boys who are 7 years old. When she was a young girl, she was involved in a boating accident and injured her back. Her condition worsened after her pregnancy due to carrying twins and the weight gain that went along with it. She also has scoliosis and has had to endure a spinal fusion and a costoplasty- where they removed several centimeters of five of her ribs to remove a hump that was in her back due to the scoliosis. The ribs are then left broken to heal back together. She had two titanium rods put into my back, 13 screws and lots of other hardware. These were both very painful operations.

Meredith describes her condition as, “Constant never ending Pain, numbness in limbs and sometimes lips, unable to do anything for long periods of time, depression, anxiety, loss of social life…” But she has a loving and supportive husband and her children love her unconditionally. She is part of the Invisible Illness group because she doesn’t look disabled and has friends and even some family members who don’t understand her situation and her chronic pain.

craftygagal_etsy_pendant-1After being told that she could not work, she began crafting for fun and to keep her mind busy and occupied. She makes stained glass, beaded and gemstone jewelry and crochets baby items and hats. She has a store on Etsy – craftyGAgal, where she takes custom orders and lists new items every day.

*Important* If you shop at her Etsy store between now and the end of the day on July 6th, put in a code “MyChronicLife” to the “Note to Seller” area you will get a 10% discount.

Get to know her and her bubbly personality on Twitter and on Facebook, where she’s also known as Southern Handmade Gifts. She’ll have you laughing, I promise! And if you think that isn’t enough, visit her blog, craftyGAgal’s Southern Handmade Gifts.

This is an ongoing effort to spotlight people with chronic illness, health issues and disabilities who are making a contribution in some way despite their pain, sickness, etc.

126 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 StumbleUpon 126 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Filament.io 126 Flares ×

1. I am proud to know her also and as always its a pleasure to know such a wonderful person and to call her a friend. She deserves a little spotlight. Well really all the spotlight. She is a true gift!
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Ice Is Nice ring Adjustable =-.

comment by Melissa — June 29, 2009 @ 12:55 am
  2. My heart goes out to those in pain and I applaud those that work so hard while they are hurting.
    Thanks Connie for sharing and thanks Meridith for letting us take a peek into your life. May God richly bless you for all you do.

Pleasure to know you both!
    xo
    .-= Danna Crawford´s last blog ..Free eBay Shipping =-.

comment by Danna Crawford — June 29, 2009 @ 7:49 am
  3. I have to applaud her determination. It’s wonderful that she has found something to keep her busy and hopefully take her mind off her pain for a while. Off to check out her store!
    .-= Holly´s last blog ..Tell Your Story With Art =-.

comment by Holly — June 29, 2009 @ 8:03 am
  4. [...] Since I don’t know her myself I will direct you to Connie’s blog to learn more about craftyGAgal also known as [...]

pingback by Handmade Jewelry and Crafts | Savey Spender — June 29, 2009 @ 8:48 am
  5. I’ve also had the pleasure of meeting Meredith on Facebook and Etsy and as her I’ve also lived with the same pain and agony and depression since my accident and multiple surgeries, I’m very proud of her and all her acomplishments, she’s a wonderful human being, and her work is exquisite, I wish her the best in Life and may God give her the strenght to continue fighting, Lovingly…Ana

comment by Ana Liechu — June 29, 2009 @ 11:03 am
  6. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Meredith, but thanks to your upbeat description of her, I am anxious to get to know her better. It takes a special kind of person to survive in pain and be the better for it. Great introduction Connie!

comment by Pat Curry — June 29, 2009 @ 1:56 pm
  7. Meredith is just a great person and her work is beautiful. I purchased a pendant when she first opened her Etsy store and it is just beautiful! As I am living with advanced heart failure, I truly appreciate the love and effort she puts into each piece. Not to mention is is a fun Facebook friend who always makes me smile. She’s a real Georgia peach!

comment by Karen F — June 29, 2009 @ 9:38 pm
  8. What an inspirational story about a person who spreads so much joy to everyone she meets. I am glad to have met CraftGal on FB. So glad to have read this story…

comment by Synolve — June 29, 2009 @ 9:41 pm
  9. I always admire people like her who perseveres over adversity. She’s also very talented.

comment by JMom (BlogUrl1) — June 30, 2009 @ 10:31 pm
  10. I get to know Meredith recently at Etsy forums and have a chat with her online. She is a very helpful person sharing her tips on online selling and she is indeed a very motivated person. Her stained glass jewelry is gorgeous and I wish her good health and good sales from her lovely creations.
    .-= Richard´s last blog ..Christmas In July – Kreepy Kids Santa Claus Handmade Card =-.

comment by Richard — July 1, 2009 @ 8:58 pm
  11. Hi, just came across your blog and would love to add it to my blogroll. I have RA, Graves and fairly benign MS. Although I blog about comfy shoes, I like to link to other blogs by folks with chronic illness as many of my readers can relate…
    .-= BarkingDogShoes´s last blog ..Comfortable Women’s Shoes | Review of J-41 Monaco =-.

comment by BarkingDogShoes — July 2, 2009 @ 1:09 pm
  12. Connie! I just placed your twitter name as the author of this blog! And to think I haven’t linked to you sooner. Gosh, I’m so silly…I knew I’d visited your blog before.

comment by BarkingDogShoes — July 2, 2009 @ 1:13 pm
  13. Thank you for sharing this truly inspirational story :)

comment by Loretta — July 3, 2009 @ 5:39 pm
  14. WOW, I was so touched by the piece Connie wrote about me and then to come read all the sweet comments from both old friends and new friends (and maybe FUture friends) has really made me proud to share my story. Thank you Connie and thank you to everyone who commented.
    SMILE~ It just feels good, pass it on!
    .-= Meredith Crosby “craftyGAgal”´s last blog ..I Was Featured =-.

comment by Meredith Crosby "craftyGAgal" — July 3, 2009 @ 10:19 pm
  15. I have known Meredith for awhile as a business women, friend and mentor. To say she inspires me to do all I can is definitely an understatement. I admire Meredith for all she does. We found out by talking to each other a while ago, that we were ‘life twins’. Her life and mine were so similar. I live with constant pain and operate a business online and sometimes it can become so hard just to get up in the mornings. Though we experience are pain for different reasons, both are life altering. It does make us social outcasts, daily living becomes a challenge not a reacurring theme in our lives. There is a lot of depression, frustration not being able to do the things you want to do.
    But Meredith inspires me because she has twin boys who she gets up in the mornings for, cares for them, works her business, and even does extra work on the side. Every time I think I just cant’ go on..I think about Meredith and I know I don’t have even a 10th of the obstacles she faces every day. When I see her accolades and strides she makes in her business, I am amazed at her ‘make it happen’ attitude. Her tenacity and fortitude should be bottled for everyone. She could make millions just selling that! She does all this living with Chronic Daily Pain. Meredith is my hero.
    .-= Mary Evans´s last blog ..Vintage 3 McCoy Brown Drip Cups Exc Cond =-.

comment by Mary Evans — October 8, 2009 @ 3:04 pm
  16. This is really touching and inspiring at the same time. It is a challenge for those that want to quit because things are getting tougher rather than better. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Naija´s last blog ..Using Articles As Affordable Internet Marketing Tools =-.

comment by Naija — May 19, 2010 @ 3:56 pm