Prompt: Five Dinner Guests. Who are 5 people you’d love to have dinner with (living or deceased) and why?
Dinner would be in a restaurant or catered, so I could relax, have a good meal and enjoy the time with my guests. I’d want to speak to people who have overcome obstacles, remained positive and uplifted and inspired others.
- Nick Vujicic - Born in 1982 in Brisbane, Australia with neither arms nor legs, Nick has gone on to travel around the world speaking about his life and his faith. He has formed the nonprofit, Life Without Limbs.
- Frida Kahlo – Well known painter, born in 1907, Frida wanted to live an independent life. She contracted polio and then was in a street car accident which caused life-long chronic pain. The accident caused fractures to her spine, collarbone and ribs, a shattered pelvis, and shoulder and foot injuries. She endured more than 30 operations. She fought to paint even when she couldn’t or shouldn’t get out of bed.
- J.R. Martinez – After suffering smoke inhalation and severe burns to more than 40 percent of his body as a soldier in the Iraq war, and facial disfigurement from the burns, J.R. went on to take a role on All My Children. He also won Dancing With the Stars Season 13, is a motivational speaker, and takes part with nonprofit work.
- Helen Keller – I don’t think I need to say why she inspires me. I could learn so much from her. One of my favorite Helen Keller quotes, “I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.”
- Marcia Van’t Land – The author of my favorite book about chronic illness,Living Well With Chronic Illness, she has brought me out of deep despair and helped me feel that I am not alone.
Who did you choose as your dinner guests?